Sunday 16 May 2010

A Dog's Life Is Never Easy, What About Yours?

Every day is different but every day is the same. Sure that sounds contradictory to you, but if you were chained to the fence, you probably would understand what that means.

I wake up in the morning, and within a short while I will be out in the great outdoors, chained to that fence again. Though every day of life is different for all kinds of life and people, every day begins the same for me. I wear a thick collar that is attached to a leash and that leash is attached to the fence in the yard. No one seems to notice that I'm freezing. I am cold and so many times, I am so hungry and thirsty.

It does not matter what the temperature is, this is my home for all day and some of the night. Chain is my home, the fence is my headboard, and the dirt, filled with worms, parasites and other forms of life is my bed. Yes, of course, at night my bed changes. At night I get to go indoors and bring my worms and parasites into the house. But at least I am warm and sheltered from the elements in the late evening. Ahh, what a relief, finally indoors.

I had no idea when I came here that I would be an outdoors person, but that happened, against my will of course.

People passing by the house think that I am happy on this chain because they think the chain makes me safe. Wrong! They never stop and really think about it. How can I be safe chained to a fence? What a ridiculous thought. Would you feel safe if someone chained you up outside of your own home? Honestly, answer that.

How safe would you feel if you were chained to a fence outside your home? And what about the rest of my normal life? How would you feel if:


If you had to carry fleas, parasites and other life on your back into where you sleep at night?


If you could not get away or protect yourself if a raccoon or other wild animal attacked you while you were chained to that fence all day?


If it began raining and you had nowhere to go?


If you had to sleep on wet dirt when it rained or snowed?


If you had to just stay there while kids and adults teased and bothered you?


If your chain was not long enough to reach where the food and water bowls are?


If you just wanted to go indoors and rest for a while but you were not allowed to?

Seriously, how would you feel if those things happened to you? And yet, to me, they happen all the time. My chain is my prison. They think that this is my daytime home - the yard. But if it truly was my home there would be no metal chain around my neck? Do you wear a metal chain on your neck --that is attached to a fence -in your "home"?

How would you feel if you were forced into this cold, harsh reality every day of your life? And what about the myths? Ah, you have heard the myths haven't you?

What about these?


Dogs love the outdoors. (Yes, of course they love the outdoors, but they do not love being chained in the outdoors. Being chained outdoors is no different than humans being chained to their homes or fences). The only difference is that the dog cannot speak out, protest or tell you this. They just "adjust" to the situation and live with it -because they have no choice.


Dogs need the chain for their protection so that they don't run away and get hit by cars. The chain that saves the dog from being hit by cars is the very same chain that holds the dog captive when squirrels, raccoons, possums and other animals attack them and fight with them.


It's only for a short time. (You try a chain around your neck for a while and tell me how long an hour feels like. Ten minutes with a chain on your neck feels like a lifetime. No joke).


Dogs do not get cold. That's some myth. People say that dogs have their own "coat". Have you ever been outdoors wearing a coat and been cold? Yes, that happens. Just because dogs have fur that does not mean that they have no feelings or that they don't feel the cold.


It does not hurt the dog. Yes it hurts the dog and anyone that says this does not hurt them is telling you one big lie. Chains hurt. Even when they do not hurt physically (which some do), others hurt emotionally. And those emotional hurts are not visible to you but trust anyone that knows dogs, chains hurt.

There are many myths about dogs who are tied up outdoors and most of them are lies, yes outright lies. People need to feel that it is okay to chain a dog outdoors so they let themselves believe this myth. Bottom line is that no animal should be chained outdoors.

IF your dog is chained outdoors for most of the day, then you probably do not have time or attention for that dog. Just put yourself in his or her place and imagine being chained up for seven or eight hours a day. Now some that are into "s and m" might not find that a problem. But to the average human being, being chained up seven to eight hours a day, outdoors is just plain cruel. The person who sells you that myth that chaining is okay--is just wrong.

Take it from me, one small dog who is chained outdoors. Now you have just a bit of an inside look at the life of a chained up dog. Find a real home for me where I can go indoors and be a real part of the family. Yes, another myth. So many animal -lovers claim the dog is part of their own family. Yet, tell me this, how many family members do you have chained up outdoors in the rain? Only one, correct?

Take this time to find a home for your dog where he can go indoors, live indoors and not be chained up. You can do it -if you want to. To start, you might want to contact this great organization of truckers who transport animals across the United States of America.

See Also : Sony Bravia Save! Store Buy Discount Home Design Software | LOWER Prices Interactive Droid

No comments:

Post a Comment